Popcorn coated in Kool-Aid Mix, then baked for a candy crunch. Use a variety of Kool-Aid mixes to make different flavors of candy popcorn.
This popcorn is FUN.
Fun to make, fun to eat. Perfect for a playdate, a birthday party, or a rainy afternoon. And guys, it is fool. proof.
I knew how to make it before I knew how to cook. You know what I’m saying?
Some people learn to cook as soon as they can see over the kitchen counter. By high school, they are making their own omelets and coffee.
That was not me. Although I’ve always loved food, I haven’t always felt comfortable cooking or baking it.
And back in those days, I loved this recipe, because it always came out. Also, because it’s delicious.
I adapted the recipe to include Kool Aid mix, which saved me a couple of steps.
It’s a fun little trick, adding Kool-Aid to the popcorn; making it crunchy and candy-coated in the oven.
Baking popcorn in the oven? What?! Yep, that’s how it works.
Makes it candy-fied. A unique and tasty treat.
Try it with all the flavors: Grape, Cherry, and Tropical Punch. It’ll be a hit with your kids.
- 3 qt. (12 cups) popped popcorn
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 env. (0.13 oz. to 0.23 oz.) KOOL-AID Unsweetened Drink Mix, any flavor
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- Heat oven to 225ºF.
- Add popcorn to a large bowl***
- Bring sugar, corn syrup and butter to boil in medium saucepan on medium-high heat; cook 3 min., stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Add drink mix and baking soda; mix well.
- Pour over popcorn; stir gently to evenly coat popcorn.
- Spread onto baking sheet covered in wax paper.
- Bake 10 min. Remove from oven; stir. Repeat 3 times for a total baking time of 40 min.
- Allow to cook, break into pieces.
***After popping the corn, move the popcorn to the bowl in handfuls to avoid ending up with unpopped kernels in the mix!
***To make more than one flavor, divide the popcorn into 3 bowls and make a separate mix with each flavor
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 481 Total Fat: 17g Saturated Fat: 10g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 40mg Sodium: 350mg Carbohydrates: 86g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 83g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 1g