Ready for a new twist on taco night?! This Taco Calzone recipe is a fun, flavorful dinner that the whole family will love! Serve with all the traditional taco toppings.
We love taco night in our house! It’s such a quick & simple dinner to put together, which is just what we need on weeknights. We all have our favorite toppings, and it’s a breeze to make a dinner that I know everyone will eat.
For this dinner, I thought it would be fun to make taco calzones. All the flavors of tacos, baked up in a hand-held pizza dough pocket. And it was a hit!
Start with the taco basics– cook up ground beef and onion in a skillet and add taco seasoning. We trust the high quality of ground beef from Jewel-Osco for all of our favorite recipes. I simply grabbed a pack from meat department at my local store. So convenient!
Next, preheat the oven. Then lay out the pizza dough (store-bought, of course!) on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
After cooking up the ground beef, allow it to cool for 5 minutes (makes it easier to fold up in the dough). Sprinkle about 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese, top with ground beef, then finish off with another 1/2 cup of cheese. Yum! You’re ready to fold up the calzone. I rolled up the edges to seal them.
Bake up for about 25 minutes or until golden brown on top. Looks delicious!
Serve with all the taco toppings you love… sour cream, guacamole, salsa, and extra cheese. One bite and you’ll have a new favorite on taco night!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/4 cup, diced onions, frozen or fresh
- taco seasoning
- 1 roll, store-bought pizza dough
- 1 cup, shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup, guacamole
- 1 cup, salsa
- 1/2 cup, shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven according to package instructions for pizza dough.
- Heat large skillet to medium, add ground beef and onions. Cook until meat is no longer pink.
- Add taco seasoning and 3/4 cup of water. Heat to boiling, then simmer for 4 minutes.
- Remove ground beef from heat while you prep the dough.
- Roll out dough on prepared baking sheet (parchment paper works best).
- Add 1/4 cup of cheese to one side of dough circle, leaving a 1/2" of space from the edge.
- Add ground beef and top off with another 1/4 cup of cheese.
- Fold the dough over to cover the ground beef mixture, and roll up the edges to seal.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Serve with taco toppings!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 430