Thank you Idaho Spuds for sponsoring this post. VeggieMash mashed potatoes are a blend of 100% Idaho® grown potatoes and real vegetables for a new take on a family favorite!
Looking for a tasty new dish to add to your weeknight rotation? This Tex Mex Protein Bowl is a kid-friendly way to get more veggies at dinnertime.
Click the image above to shop for Idaho Spuds VeggieMash!
When back-to-school season starts, I always go through my recipe binder and pick out a few go-to recipes for the busy school year ahead. It makes life so much easier to have a handful of kid-friendly, nutritious recipes that I can get to the table in minutes. That way when we’re rushing in and out of the house, off to various sports and activities, I have simple meal-time solutions to feed my crew fast.
Recently, I tried the Idaho Spuds VeggieMash in a Tex Mex Protein Bowl, filled with tons of plant-based protein and veggies. It was so flavorful, the kids didn’t even noticed that they were eating all sorts of nutritious foods, like quinoa, cauliflower, and red peppers!
I used the Idaho Spuds VeggieMash Mashed Potatoes with Cauliflower and Ranch, but there’s also Idaho Spuds VeggieMash Mashed Potatoes with Broccoli & Cheddar, and Idaho Spuds VeggieMash Mashed Potatoes with Cauliflower, Butter, and Herbs. All Idaho Spuds products start with 100% Idaho® Potatoes (yum!) and VeggieMash is made using real vegetables.
To put together these protein bowls, start by heating up the Idaho Spuds VeggieMash according to package instructions. It literally take minutes. In the meantime, cook up a batch of quinoa (quick cook variety) in chicken broth, to add extra flavor.
Once the base of the bowl is filled, top with whichever tex mex-inspired veggies your family enjoys. We love anything that would go on a taco, like sliced bell peppers, avocados, etc. One of the best things about this dish is that everyone can choose their own favorite toppings!
Tex Mex Protein Bowl
- 1 package Idaho Spuds VeggieMash Mashed Potatoes with Cauliflower and Ranch
- 2 cups quinoa, uncooked
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 lime, cut into wedges, optional, for topping
- 1 sliced avocado , optional, for topping
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, optional, for topping
Avocado Cream Sauce
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1 tsp salt
- squeeze fresh lime
- Cook Idaho Spuds VeggieMash Mashed Potatoes with Cauliflower and Ranch according to package instructions.
- Meanwhile, cook quinoa in chicken broth (for added flavor) according to package instructions.
- Divide VeggieMash and quinoa between four bowls.
- Add sliced red pepper to bowls.
- Blend up avocado, Greek yogurt, lime juice, and salt in a food processor until smooth.
- Drizzle avocado cream sauce on top of Tex Mex Protein Bowls, and top with desired ingredients: lime wedges, cilantro, and avocado.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 420
I love how Idaho Spuds VeggieMash makes it easy to add more veggies to dinnertime. The kids get a tasty dinner that’s completely customizable, and I know I’ve boost their veggie intake– mom win!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of CLEVER and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.