For the perfect fall meal, try this Corn and Potato Chowder Recipe. Creamy chowder topped with sharp cheddar cheese and freshly baked cornbread. It’s an all-in-one meal that your family will love!
corn and potato chowder in the crockpot
You all know I’m all about the kitchen shortcuts. If there’s anything I like better than a “set it and forget it” dish, it’s creating a complete meal in one pot. I know you guys love a good recipe hack too, so you’ll definitely want to check this one out.
Cornbread AND soup all in one slow cooker?! Yep! Let me show you how…
INGREDIENTS NEEDED TO MAKE THIS CORN AND POTATO CHOWDER RECIPE:
- 1 lb red new potatoes, scrubbed and chopped
- 1 can corn
- 1/4 cup flour
- 6 cups chicken broth or stock
- 1 15 oz can pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 box cornbread mix
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 stick butter, softened
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped, optional
- 1/2 cup sour cream, optional
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper, optional
DIRECTIONS TO MAKE THIS CORN AND POTATO CHOWDER RECIPE:
- Add potatoes and corn to slow cooker. Top with flour.
- Add chicken broth and pumpkin puree on top.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours.
- Prepare cornbread batter according to package instructions.
- Lift lid of slow cooker, stir in heavy cream.
- Add an even layer of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Add a layer of cornbread batter, close the lid.
- Cook for another 30 mins.
- Once cornbread layer is baked, dig in with a large spoon. Serve each bowl of chowder with a piece of cornbread on top. Add garnishes as desired.
Start with this simple, yet flavorful corn chowder recipe. I try to take advantage of meatless Mondays just to add variety to my weekly meal plan, but if you decide to add chopped bacon to make a good corn chowder with bacon and potatoes, that would be awesome too!
After the crockpot has had the chance to heat up the soup & make it nice and creamy, it’s time for the cornbread.
The trick for keeping the cornbread on top (as opposed to sinking to the bottom of the soup), is to first sprinkle on a layer of shredded sharp cheddar cheese.
It adds a barrier for the cornbread batter, plus so much additional flavor to the soup!
Stir up a basic box of cornbread mix and pour on top of the cheese. Pop the top back on the slow cooker, and heat for 30 min. That’s it!
Once your cornbread is baked, dig into the slow cooker, and serve the chowder in deep bowls with whichever toppings you prefer. We love chopped bell pepper, more cheese, or even sour cream. Fresh herbs like cilantro really take the flavor over-the-top.
handy tools to make this recipe even easier:
- slow cooker – has a time, intelligent cooking, large size
- deep bowls – great size, white matches other dishes, dishwasher safe, microwave safe
frequently asked questions
What do you serve corn chowder with?
With my recipe above you could just add a salad that would round everything out nicely. In general, a nice cornbread or bread, a salad, and a simple dessert (if entertaining).
What is corn chowder made of?
Corn, obviously, and then potatoes and bacon/ham. It usually has cheese incorporated or on top!
How do you thicken corn chowder?
Add Flour, Cornstarch, or Other Thickener: Starches thicken soup and give it body. Whisk a few tablespoons of starch into a little of the broth in a separate bowl before whisking it into the main pot. This prevents the starch from clumping and helps it dissolve into the soup evenly.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 429 Total Fat: 25g Saturated Fat: 14g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 100mg Sodium: 1332mg Carbohydrates: 41g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 9g Protein: 14g