Keto-friendly egg roll filling tucked in lettuce wraps makes a healthy dish that’s full of flavor. These Keto Egg Rolls are a tasty lunch that you’ll make again & again.
Keto Egg Roll in a Bowl Recipe
I’ve got your lunchtime solution right here. Or quick dinnertime meal. The best (and most important!) part? It’s mega-tasty.
It’s one of those meals that’s even better as leftovers. I mix up a bath on a Sunday and dig into it for lunch or easy dinners all week.
INGREDIENTS FOR MAKING EGG ROLL IN A BOWL:
- Head of romaine or butter lettuce, leaves separated
- 1 lb, ground turkey, chicken, pork, or beef
- 12 oz., broccoli slaw (usually in the packaged salad section)
- 4 cups, cooked quick rice
- 2 Tablespoons, sesame oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon, minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon, ginger (more or less to taste)
- 1/4 cup, soy sauce (more or less to taste)
- 1/4 cup, chopped green onions
HOW TO MAKE EGG ROLL IN A BOWL:
- Heat a wok or large stir fry pan to medium heat.
- Add 1 Tablespoon sesame oil.
- Add ground turkey, break into crumbles with the back of a large spoon.
- Heat until no longer pink.
- Add garlic, remaining sesame oil, ginger, and soy sauce.
- Add broccoli slaw.
- Cover and heat for 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mixture has cooked down and wilted a bit.
- Mix in rice and green onions.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Serve in lettuce cups, with soy sauce for dipping.
The three basic ingredients are ground turkey (or chicken, pork, or beef), rice, and broccoli slaw. You can use regular coleslaw mix, but I think the broccoli slaw holds up a bit better. Translation: it doesn’t become a soggy mess.
You could also cut up your own veggie mix… but the idea here is quick & easy.
What makes the filling taste like egg rolls? Sesame oil and soy sauce. Cook with these two items (neither is expensive or hard to find) and you can make almost any dish taste more Asian-inspired.
Add in some green onions, garlic, and a generous amount of ginger, and it’s a flavor explosion. You could serve these with soy sauce, sweet & sour sauce, or get fancy and use fresh ginger or wasabi.
Around here, we wrap them up in romaine or butter lettuce and dig in. Easy as that. And totally keto-friendly!
Try out these tasty egg roll lettuce wraps for your next lunch!
handy tools to use when making this keto egg roll in a bowl recipe:
- wok – nonstick, dishwasher safe, easy to “stir” the ingredients
- flat wooden spoon – stir up ingredients easily, chops meat quickly
Can I eat egg rolls on keto?
The traditional wonton wrappers are not keto-friendly. However, the filling is! So, you can make easy adaptations like using lettuce leaves or making thin egg “wraps” and stuffing those.
How many net carbs are in an egg roll?
An egg roll has around 22g net carbs. Taking away the wonton wrapper reduces it to about 5g net carbs!
Can you eat a pork roll on keto?
Just about all meats are keto! If it used to cluck, moo, or oink… you can eat it! Redmeat, poultry, pork, and seafood are all great for a keto diet.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 199 Total Fat: 9g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 44mg Sodium: 268mg Carbohydrates: 15g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 1g Protein: 14g