This shop has been compensated by Albertsons. All opinions are mine alone. #GameDayMVP #JewelOsco #CollectiveBias
Who’s ready for the Big Game?!
The excitement is palpable in our house. For real. My daughter and husband are excited about the game and I can’t wait to make some epic game time food. Like the Banh Mi Sandwich I’m debuting for our next party!
You may be asking yourself, what’s a Banh Mi Sandwich? Well friends, it’s a Vietnamese-style sandwich. Basically, marinated pork topped with veggies. And it’s a flavor explosion! Perfectly for slicing into mini-sammy’s and serving for the big game.
Let’s show you how it’s done.
You start by marinating the pork for 2-4 hours in a mixture of sugar, garlic, chili sauce, Asian fish sauce, and fresh lime juice.
Honestly, my mouth is watering already.
After the pork has been marinating a good long time, cook it in the oven, at 450 degrees for 20-25, until the pork has reached an internal temperature of 145º-160º.
Enticing, eh? Marinated pork is just the best. Juicy, flavorful, and perfectly cooked.
Next toss together the veggie mixture of carrots, daikon radish, and thinly sliced red onion. Top with seasoned rice vinegar and salt, according to the recipe.
Once your guests arrive, stir up the veggies and get ready to assemble the sandwich. You really want to get the freshest bread possible. It can make or break a sandwich. Fresh bread allows the sandwich ingredients to shine.
And shine they do!
I served mine with Pepsi, which was oh-so-convenient to pick up at Jewel-Osco when I stopped to get all the yummy ingredients for the sandwich. Pepsi is the perfect refreshment for this sammy. Really makes the whole meal just right for a game viewing party. Easy & delicious!
This busy mom loves when I can get everything I need for a party at one place. Between freezing temps and kiddos in car seats, I really appreciate a one-stop-shop like Jewel-Osco to celebrate the big game right. It’s easy for me to pick up all the ingredients, marinate the pork the day before, and have all the parts of the sandwich ready to go on game day. Pour yourself a Pepsi, and dig in!
Tips for Easy Entertaining on Game Day:
-prepare/cook everything you can the day or week before the event (i.e marinating the pork)
-use paper plates, napkins, and cups in team colors (festive & less mess!)
-serve easy drink options that are crowd-pleasers, like Pepsi
-plan one large food item (like a big sandwich) and add smaller, easy to serve sides, like chips or pretzels
-set out food in a self-serve style buffet, then sit down to enjoy the game with friends and family!
- 11/2 pound pork tenderloin, trimmed
- 1 24- inch baguettes, soft
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 small cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded and thinly sliced
- 32 fresh cilantro sprigs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 4 teaspoons chili sauce
- 6 tablespoons fresh lime juice, from 3-4 limes
- 4 teaspoons Asian fish sauce
- Vegetable Mixture:
- 2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 1/2 cups shredded daikon radish
- 1/2 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- To make marinade, combine sugar, garlic and chili sauce in mortar and pestle, mashing into a paste. Add lime juice and fish sauce. Set 1/4 cup of mixture aside and refrigerate. Transfer remaining mixture to re-sealable bag, add pork and set aside in refrigerator for 2-4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 450º and make vegetable mixture (about 30 minutes before serving). In a large bowl, combine vinegar and salt. Add carrots, radish and onion. Set aside, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
- Place pork on lined baking pan (discard marinade from bag with pork). Roast 20-25 minutes (to internal temperature of 145º-160º). Remove pork from oven and let rest 5 minutes.
- To assemble sandwiches, thinly slice pork. Trim ends off baguettes and cut each crosswise into 4 pieces. Cut horizontally, so each piece opens like a book. Spread with mayonnaise, top with cucumber, pork slices and reserved marinade (drizzle it over the pork), vegetable mixture, cilantro and serve.
This recipe was provided to me by the Pork Board to recreate for this blog. All the ingredients were purchased at Jewel-Osco. With Albertson/banner stores, you can be Game Day Party MVP!
Keep an eye out for these special events happening in Albertson/banner stores:
Pepsi Sweepstakes – 1 grand prize winner of $50,00 and (1) of (50) nflshop.com gift cards every week
Bakery Deco Pac – A chance to win a $500 shopping spree
So how do you, dear reader, plan to celebrate the Big Game? A giant spread of food? Team colors everywhere?