These easy baked wontons are a scrumptious, simple to make, and a better-for-you version of the classic wonton. It’s a perfect appetizer for those times when you need something tasty at the last minute!
I used only a few ingredients: cream cheese, garlic, sesame oil, green onions. All wrapped up in wonton wrappers.
It’s a perfectly easy holiday appetizer idea for all those parties this season. My family is particular to appetizer & dessert parties, which are less stress and more fun for us. Everyone brings copies of their recipes and it’s fun way to try new treats to share with others. Who doesn’t love tasting new dishes and small plates of food? I think it’s the best way to celebrate the holidays. Bring this appetizer to your parties for something unique among the dips and cheese plates. Once they hear how easy it is to make, everyone will be clamoring for the recipe.
The key to this dish is that the wontons are baked, not fried, which gives them a crisp, crunchy texture. And the inside? Fluffy cheese that is so flavorful. It’s a must for your holiday appetizer table.
Simply combine room-temperature (aka softened) Kraft Philadelphia cream cheese with the chopped onions and garlic. A little sesame oil helps the filling stay smooth. Lots of freshly ground pepper to top off.
Next, spoon a dollop of the cheese filling onto the center of each wonton. Brush beaten egg onto the edges of the square, and bring up the sides, pinching the corners together. You’ll know you added enough egg when the wonton stays together on its own.
Spritz with a bit of cooking spray, and pop them in the oven until the edges are golden brown.
Such an easy recipe for effortless holiday entertaining. Everyone loves them, served up with sweet & sour or hot sauce. So. Good.
Bonus if you eat them with chopsticks!
Love easy appetizers? Try this Cheeseburger Dip, made in the slow cooker!
- 20 wonton wrappers
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- tbsp freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 egg, beaten
- cooking spray
- dipping sauces, optional- sweet and sour and/or hot sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine cream cheese and next three ingredients in a medium-sized bowl.
- Lay out wonton wrappers in one layer on prepared cookie sheet.
- Add one Tablespoon of cheese filling to each wonton wrapper.
- Brush sides of wrapper with egg, close up and pinch to seal edges.
- Spritz wontons with cooking spray.
- Bake in oven for 8 minutes, or until edges are golden brown.
- Serve warm with dipping sauces.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 50