Skinny Queso Dip made with coconut milk & Greek yogurt. Traditional queso get a make-over! Creamy, cheesy, and a boost of protein– you’ll love this take on queso. It’s a healthy queso dip!
I love Cinco de Mayo… so much awesome food. Tacos, tamales, and taquitos; not to mention chips & dip.
Don’t you love how they place chips and salsa in front of you the moment you sit down at a Mexican restaurant? Light crispy chips, still glistening from the fryer. Let’s start that tradition at all restaurants. Can you imagine?! That would be the best.
Edamame shows up while your water glass is being filled? Bruschetta comes to the table before you even order?
At my favorite local spot for Mexican food, they serve you two kinds of salsa & a to-die-for queso dip. I always add some salsa to the queso. Gives it yummy texture. Whoever decided to make a meal out of a bowl of melted cheese is my personal hero.
Unfortunately, traditional queso is not so good for you. But I want to have my cake and eat it too. Literally.
So I lightened the queso recipe up with two of my favorite tricks: coconut milk & Greek yogurt.
If you’ve been reading this blog for a while, then you know all about my fondness for Greek yogurt.
- non-fat variety still tastes great
- can be used as a substitute to lighten-up tons of dishes
- adds protein
Are you on board yet?
Love appetizer dips? Try this easy slow cooker Cheeseburger Dip!
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 Tablespoons plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 cup, pico de gallo
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium high heat.
- Whisk in flour for about 1 minute, then add coconut milk. Whisk for 4-5 minutes, until slightly thickened.
- Stir in cheese until smooth, about 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in Greek yogurt until well combined, about 1 minute.
- Stir in pico de gallo.
- Add salt & pepper to taste.
*ideas for dipping: oven-baked taquitos (find in freezer section of grocery store), veggies, or tortilla chips
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 397 Total Fat: 32g Saturated Fat: 19g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 10g Cholesterol: 92mg Sodium: 684mg Carbohydrates: 6g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 2g Protein: 20g