This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone.
I love Cinco de Mayo… so much awesome food.
Tacos, tamales, and taquitos; not to mention chips & dip.
Don’t you love how they place chips and salsa in front of you the moment you sit down at a Mexican restaurant?
Light crispy chips, still glistening from the fryer.
Let’s start that tradition at all restaurants. Can you imagine?! That would be the best.
Edamame shows up while your water glass is being filled?
Bruschetta comes to the table before you even order?
At my favorite local spot for Mexican food, they serve you two kinds of salsa & a to-die-for queso dip.
I always add some salsa to the queso. Gives it yummy texture.
Whoever decided to make a meal out of a bowl of melted cheese is my personal hero.
Unfortunately, traditional queso is not so good for you.
But I want to have my cake and eat it too. Literally.
So I lightened the queso recipe up with two of my favorite tricks: coconut milk & Greek yogurt.
If you’ve been reading this blog for a while, then you know all about my fondness for Greek yogurt.
- non-fat variety still tastes great
- can be used as a substitute to lighten-up tons of dishes
- adds protein
Are you on board yet?
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Unsweetened Coconut Milk
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 Tablespoons plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 cup, pico de gallo
- 1 package each, Delimex Taquitos & Tacos
- Preheat oven according to Delimex Taquitos & Tacos directions.
- Bake Delimex Taquitos & Tacos for time listed on package.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium high heat.
- Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in coconut milk, and cook, whisking constantly, until slightly thickened, about 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in cheese, a handful at a time, until smooth, about 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in Greek yogurt until well combined, about 1 minute.
- Mix in ⅔ of pico gallo, use the rest to top the dip.
- Serve with Delimex Taquitos & Tacos.
My Skinny Queso Dip pairs beautifully with Delimex Taquitos & Tacos, which I found at Walmart. Can be used as an app or main dish at your Cinco de Mayo fiesta. For more info, visit: DelimexFiesta.com